Thursday 27 August 2015

The Big Five

Today the number 5 plays a big role in my life. Normally, the number is a symbol of harmony and balance. It also symbolizes people's limitations of controlling the universe. For the Mayans, it means perfection. Without knowing it, or even trying, these meanings are all applicable in my life right now.

Since my last post 5 months ago, 5 big things have happened in my life.

1. Performance Appraisal

I've been at my current company for more than a year, so in April I had my performance appraisal. I finally got to hear what's waiting for me and what I can do to improve. Everyone is happy with me and I've grown above my basic job description. That's not something you see with many young people, I've been told. My title changed to Studio Assistant (because my work does not just stay at the front desk, duh) and I've been given a gold star. But nothing more. I felt great knowing that whatever I've been doing was right (to my knowledge), but I was also really looking forward to more responsibilities and opportunities to learn about the company. You can only learn so much on your own. And with my two mentors gone, that wasn't going to happen soon.

Which is why I decided to do the following point.

2. Copywriting Course

Since working in my current position, one of our designers got me interested in the art of copywriting. I always wondered what it entailed and started looking for courses. So I found the six week short course in Copywriting for Online Marketing. Not totally applicable to what we're doing at the office, but I want to become a better writer and blogger anyway, so I though, why not? It was not easy, and at times I thought "Am I really cut out for something like this? I haven't been creative in such a long time!" But after six weeks, our course coach called me, asking how I found the experience. I enjoyed it and learned quite a lot, I said. "You are best in class". She was not kidding. I felt almost ready to take over the world.

Speaking of writing...

3. Indigo Memoirs

Earlier in the year, while my boyfriend and I were competing for the highest amount of followers on Twitter (I'm still winning), someone from the London based online magazine called Indigo Memoirs (now called MI Magazine) reached out to me via this social platform. They wanted to know whether I was interested in becoming a contributor. I thought it to be a bit odd, because I am not from or have ever been to the UK. But, they were willing to give me a chance. I needed to start my online writing presence somewhere, something that's not my own blog. I have three posts on their website already. It's not perfect, but it's experience.

4. Family Holiday

The end of June meant the start of our family vacation. After so many disappointments with failed job applications and interviews, I needed a break away from everything. For the first time in a long while, I forced myself to read again. It feels good to know next time someone asks me what's the last book I read, I won't have to mention one that will give away the last time I did read. It was Harry Potter, okay. Even though I enjoyed the holiday, I still struggled with my identity crisis. It was only when we drove back home that I looked into the sunrise and I said, "You know, I'm done fighting against myself and thinking that I'm not good enough. I'll keep searching for jobs, but it's not going to swallow me whole. The right job will come."

And sure enough, two weeks after I returned to the office:

5. I got a New Job

It's an entry level job as an Admin Assistant, but it is at an environmental company, and I'll also be doing a little marketing on its social platforms. So I'll be using my work, academic and short course backgrounds for this new position. And there is so much room for growth and learning, exactly what I was looking for! I felt so much worth and excitement when I heard the news, something I haven't felt for a long time.

It all happened so fast. I sent an application, got called half an hour later to schedule an interview, went for the interview the next week, got offered the position one day later. I was so surprised. This kind of thing only happens to other people.

I only have 5 working days left at the office and it still feels surreal. And just when I found 5 different ways of getting to work in case of heavy traffic. Needless to say, I am looking forward to this new chapter. And I'll use a brand new pencil to write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cupcakes go here. Friendly messages will also do ;-)